Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas


Christmas is a magical time of year. It was also my Grandmother's favorite holiday. She always made Christmas Special for me. We always went Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve for that last present for either Uncle John or Bruce. Later when everyone arrived we would go to the Candle Light service. I have found out that if I don't go to this service Christmas just isn't Christmas for me. We come back eat and then open presents. In later years we made home made ice cream with Grandma's home made chocolate sauce. She made the Jesus' Birthday cake Which was a round chocolate cake with white icing. 12 red candles and evergreens that surrounded it. We would tell what each thing stood for. Chocolate cake stands for our sins, White icing is Christ's purity that covers our sins. The cake is round because a circle is never-ending. 12 candles for 12 months of the year they were red for Jesus' blood that was shed for us. Evergreens stand for everlasting life. We would lite the candles and we sang happy birthday to Jesus. The next day was Christmas and we would go to my other Grandparents and celebrate all over again. Playing out on the farm, taking walks with the aunts and cousins. Having Grandma's home made rolls and lets not forget the scalloped oysters. :-)
I've realized a long time ago it was family that made things special. I guess if I was spoiled in anyway growing up was the fact that I always saw my grandparents and aunts and uncles every week. Most of my aunts and uncles were still in school when I was a baby. So I got a lot of attention and they always made me feel special and every holiday was extra special.
Family, after God, is the most important thing to me. It's God and my family that I run to when I'm hurting. I've thanked God over and over so I want to thank my family for all their love, support and prayers.
I love you!
Dawn

No comments: